Friday, July 31, 2009

The Real Pioneer Experience!

So, since our camera died, we kind of missed out on getting some pictures on our final day at the sixth crossing. We woke up to - you guessed it - rain! We had planned a 4 mile trek that day, and thankfully the Holmsteads were geared up and ready to go regardless! So off we went - in the rain! But the missionaries were so thoughtful and gave us some trash bags for ponchos! I started by holding an umbrella over Lincoln, who was on Greg's back in a backpack. But soon the rain began to subside, and Adam, Libby, and I enjoyed sliding around in the mud behind the handcarts. It was pretty slippery! We were really just enjoying ourselves, taking a snack break, and talking amongst ourselves. We tried putting Lincoln back in the handcart, but he was really not excited about that. So I decided to carry him for awhile, hoping he would fall asleep. We hadn't gone too much further, when it really started to rain! We came to some bathrooms, and a sister missionary informed us we had 3 river crossings ahead of us! Holy Cow! The kids were screaming and crying, we finally just set Lincoln in the handcart - although he climbed through the back into my arms! So, I trekked with him the rest of the way! It was funny though, once we crossed the first river, the kids were just fine, and actually started singing and laughing the rest of the way! We felt like real pioneers, although we had a nice warm car and clothes to look forward to, and it really wasn't too cold. Wow - I sure appreciate all they went through, and I felt I could relate to their faithfulness and determination to make it, no matter what the circumstances. Isn't that the challenge? To endure in faithfulness to the end, no matter what we encounter, and we are always the better for it. I know we will never forget this amazing experience, and I know we could never have done it alone! We need each other!

No comments: